One by one, carnations were carefully placed at its base.
The act was a showing of respect and moment of reflection for the some 200 people who attended the unveiling of the Armenian Genocide Memorial in St. Catharines Saturday, April 30, 2016.
The monument, which stands in front of the Armenian Community Centre on Martindale Road, recognizes the massacre of 1.5 million Armenians a century ago by Ottoman Turkish soldiers. The 1915 event is considered by many to be the first genocide of the 20th century.
The new outdoor space bears special meaning and resonates with each member of the Armenian community, said Sevag Belian, a member of the centre’s executive.
“(It) reminds us of our people’s resilience and perseverance, despite the hardships they faced,” he told the large crowd that gathered for a ceremony on the centre’s front lawn.
The memorial, created by Hamilton-based Jean Antikian, includes the names of the six provinces of Armenia, where most of the victims originated from, a flame to symbolize the eternal memory of those lost, and is topped by a phoenix, symbolizing the commitment of the Armenian people to rise from the ashes and live again.
READ FULL STORY > Designed by renowned landscape architect, Mr. Haig Seferian, the memorial grove will serve as a place of beauty, contemplation and community.
> Armenian Genocide memorial unveiled in St. Catherines, Canada
> Memorial unveiling ceremony dedicated to the victims of the Armenian Genocide in the city of St. Catharines, Ontario
> Canadian PM Congratulates Armenians on Unveiling of Genocide Monument
> Inauguration d’un nouveau mémorial du génocide à Sainte Catharines