A Heritage Impact Assessment is undertaken to determine the potential impacts of a proposed development or site alteration on a heritage resource and recommended mitigation and conservation measures.
Heritage Impact Assessments can be required:
- for any inventoried, listed, or designated properties in a municipality;
- for any property adjacent to any inventoried, listed or designated properties in a municipality;
- for any property determined by city staff to have potential cultural heritage value;
- for any areas or property types prescribed in a municipality’s Official Plan;
- as part of an Environmental Assessment.
A Heritage Impact Assessment includes:
- preparation of a historical review;
- consultation with stakeholders;
- identification of Cultural Heritage Landscapes and built heritage resources of heritage interest and/or value;
- description of proposed project impacts;
- development of a conservation or mitigation strategy;
- ecommendations for next steps