Seferian Design Group was retained by McMaster University to prepare a Campus Housing Landscape Master Plan. Founded in 1887, McMaster University is a world-renowned research-intensive university based in Hamilton, Ontario with a student population of close to 25,000 students and more than 135,000 alumni.
The University envisioned a vibrant and malleable residential campus space that captures the physical environment in way that would enhance student, faculty, staff, and visitor engagement and experience. Proposed goals included:
- Creating a sense of place where students, alumni and faculty alike could feel at home, welcome and at ease.
- Focusing on ecological awareness by analyzing soils, climate, drainage, vegetation and wildlife factors.
- Conducting workshops and visioning exercises with the University to engage the public, students and staff in the creation of the Campus Master Plan vision and design.
- Integrating the culture, ecological and spiritual principles of the First Nations by incorporating the theme of “walk gently on the land”.
- Incorporating wayfinding, pedestrian circulation, image, identity, accessibility, recreation, health and wellness, and open space amenities.
Location: Hamilton, ON
Size: 60 ha
Client: McMaster University
Project Team: SDG, Landscape Architects
Services Provided: The scope of work includes three phases; Identification, Visioning and Development, for the exterior areas surrounding the 12 Residences of the campus. Four focus groups were held in late 2017 with various McMaster University Stakeholders.